Roast Potatoes and Tomato Sauce.
Simple. Affordable. Delicious.
Today we are talking tomatoes, but here’s the link if you’re thinking potatoes:
You’re going to want all organic, it simply tastes better and is beyond better for your health. Okay, the ingredients:
- Raw, Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil
- Plum tomatoes
- Spring Onions
- Button Mushrooms
- Lemon Juice
- Desiccated Coconut
- Tomato Puree
- Ground Cinnamon
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Mixed Herbs [oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, marjoram]
- Fresh Basil
So how does it all fit together?
- We’ll start by preheating 1tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan. Test the oil with a drop of water. Once it sizzles it’s ready!
- Add in roughly 3tbsp spring onion, chopped roughly. Season generously with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- After a couple of minutes add in around 3/4 button mushrooms, finely cut – we’re adding flavour with these.
- Leave the ingredients to brown on a low to medium heat.
- Transfer the ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and add in 300g plum tomatoes.
- Pierce the skin of all tomatoes and add mixed herbs and ground cinnamon. Place the lid on, simmer for up to 15 minutes until the skin falls away.
- Add in enough boiling water just to cover the ingredients, add in 2tbsp tomato puree.
- At this point you can add a generous handful of desiccated coconut.
- Grate 3 medium carrots and add them to the pot, leave to boil down until the water is below the line of ingredients.
- Add some fresh basil, a large squeeze of lemon and blitz with a hand blender for 10 to 20 seconds. This really depends on your preferences.
There are many different variations you can make with this recipe, you can substitute the tomatoes for cherry or salad [if you can’t get hold of those plums]. These have a higher water content, so you may need to give them a little longer on Step 5.
Check out the rest of the gang on our recipes page.